I am so happy that little Andie looks quite content with her new quilt. I’m sure this little nugget will have PLENTY of quilts and other crafty items to surround her, what with Alice and Susan and me on the scene.
But, I have to say, I’m particularly proud of this one, since I pretty much came up with the idea and design on my own. I have seen some other quilts that have the baby’s name appliqued across them, so I wanted to try that. I found the solid gray and yellow at a little quilt shop in Sulphur Springs, and I’ve been chomping at the bit to do some large spaces of solid fabric. I thought the yellow and gray would be a great color scheme, since little Andie has received so much pink it’s like she owns stock in Pepto Bismol! Let’s try something non-traditional, right?
Thankfully, when Betsy was visiting over Labor Day weekend, I was able to enlist her bubble-letter making skills to help with the design. We worked on a little math, to figure out how big we wanted the finished product, and what that meant size-wise for each large solid piece. While I worked on cutting out the yellow and gray, Bets drew the letters on paper patterns and then cut out the flowered fabric.
We were able to complete the top in one day. If we had it to do over again, there’s definitely a few things I would do differently. We did not put the flowered fabric on fusible before she cut them out. That would have helped, but we kind of just gripped it and ripped it as far as tackling this project. She did an awesome job with the letters, but I can see how it would have been easier for her if the fabric had some oomph to it before cutting them out.
I continue to struggle with cutting out large pieces of fabric that are bigger than my cutting mat and rulers. I’m trying the tricks that mom has showed me, but it’s hard. I guess I need more practice at that. When I first started sewing I was pretty nervous about trying new things, but I’m getting to the point where I’m taking more of a “let’s just do it and see what happens” philosophy.
A trip to KC for work allowed me some time on mom’s longarm machine to quilt this top and my hashtag quilt (which I will post about later).
I used one of the template boards to quilt the large spaces with the spiral square-diamond shapes, then just a bit of free motion quilting in the gray space around her name. We did most of the quilting on this at about 1:30 in the morning!
I hope you like it!